January 05, 2013

Bold Prayers

A couple weekends ago, I visited my parents' church, where a young man I know preaches.  His energy of presentation and vision of what God can do made a huge impression on me.  God surely spoke to me through him.

He began by describing how we typically pray for protection and safety, for people to get well, and not much else.  He asserted that perhaps God thinks, "yeah, I got that, but I'm BIG, so ask me for BIG things!"  He challenged us to bold prayers, as the Christians in Acts 4 prayed.  Even though they were in danger and being persecuted for their faith, these believers asked God for more boldness in speaking His words, and for more opportunities.  The preacher challenged us to pray that God would do big things through us, and that He would extend His miraculous power to change what we can't change ourselves.  We can still pray for protection and health, but let's not limit ourselves to those simple requests.

Truly, our God is able to do much more than we ask or imagine.  Truly He is powerful, mighty, loving, forgiving, just, righteous, pure, faithful.  I know His heart is that all people would come to Christ.  I was truly inspired by this vision of praying boldly for those in my own community and spheres of influence.  So I came up with 12 prayers for the coming year that I intend to pray regularly, and encourage others to join me.

Perhaps there are some bold prayers you can be praying starting today as well?

"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen." - Ephesians 3:20-21


2 comments:

  1. Thanks, Becky, for the great post! Love it! The idea of praying boldly...pondering...

    ReplyDelete