January 06, 2013

Learning Contentment

Last year, it was a struggle for me to be content.  I complained a lot about the Army making us move from a place we enjoyed to a place we expected not to enjoy.  I complained about the places I felt I had been thrust into volunteering immediately as a leader when I'd rather fill a supporting role instead, after taking plenty of time to assess where I would like to use my talents.  I complained about the limitations my life had on it because we are homeschooling, and how much time and energy it takes in my week.  I complained about the remote desert environment we live in, and the things I dislike about the military housing we were assigned, especially my side-by-side fridge.

Contentment can be difficult.  Life is never ideal.  Maybe for you, it's financial, or about your job, or something to do with broken or unfulfilling relationships.  My situation really hasn't been that bad off, and in spite of all I had to complain about, there have been multiple blessings.  I have had to continuously resolve to focus on those.

I expect it will continue to be a struggle for me to be content this year.  I certainly haven't mastered it.  I can still choose to complain about all the same things.  But I hope, with practice, prayer, and perspective, I will learn to focus on the blessings.

I am blessed to have a fantastic husband and great children.  I am blessed to have a home provided for me and a refrigerator that works.  I am blessed to have great friends living in the remote desert environment with me.  I am blessed to have a great chapel congregation with which to worship and study each week.  I am blessed to have extended family members who care about us through phone calls, mail, packages, and occasional visits, even though they live far away.  I am blessed my husband enjoys his work, and makes a steady living that provides more than we need.  I am blessed to be able to stay at home with my children and also be their homeschool teacher.  I am blessed to have the opportunity to serve in a couple of ways where I am needed and appreciated and can bring glory to God through my service.

Honestly, I'm pretty much spoiled rotten.


1 comment: